Hello, hello


Hello folks. This is just a quick post. I have been busy and indecisive lately. Busy with some personal story that I am designing in InDesign and will publish. Indecisive with what story to post here next. (Even the image above has got nothing to do with this post.) So to make matters simplier, I am sharing photos from 2 recent events I had the chance to play with the camera.


Eejanaika. One of Toyohashi's common festival was celebrated last October 15 and 16. It rained Saturday and the scheduled contests were moved indoors. 


Fortunately the rain stopped around 6PM and they went on with the night street dance. It was my first time, after coming back from the Philippines, to go out and shoot an event. 


Surprisingly, I did not take too many pictures. I have no idea. It may have been that I have seen too many street dancing and I was not impressed with the performance that night or I may have just been to shallow and was not seeing any moment worth capturing. Either way, being bored is bad.

To make matters worse. I was not interested to go out the following day to shoot. I said I would rest my eyes for the evening where I was requested to shoot a concert by a local church in Hamamatsu, Saved by Grace.


What was important with this gig was that I came to learn that alone I can not stand as an events photographer. Unlike street photography where you have more freedom and control over your subjects, so to speak, the events photographer is just at the mercy of the event. 


The only possibly way to pull it off alone is to to have a shot list. Then the photographer must study every movement of each performance. Anticipation is the key. The photographer must also coordinate with the person in-charge of the lights. Also, it pays to have 2 cameras with different lenses. Probably an ultrawide (10-22mm, 16-35mm) and a standard zoom (24-70mm). Ideally it would be best to have 3 photographers to cover all points of view. 


That's all folks. Hope to see you next time.

Comments

Popular Posts